Asunto:PAN- Amnesty International: Racism, Xenophobia, Intimidation, Harassment / "War on Terrorism" to Introduce Draconian Measures to Limit Civil Liberties // A Message from Operation PLANET LOVE -OPA
Fecha:Jueves, 27 de Septiembre, 2001  12:44:45 (-0700)
Autor:Ricardo Ocampo-Anahuak Networks <anahuak @.............mx>

* News Release Issued by the
International Secretariat of Amnesty International *

ACT 30/023/2001
171/01

The attacks in the USA on 11 September 2001 amounted to an international
tragedy. The victims included US citizens as well as Asians, Latin Americans
and Europeans, Muslims as well as Christians and Jews. The identity of the
perpetrators has yet to be fully determined but there is evidence to suggest
that they come from several different countries. Grief and outrage at the
atrocity have affected people all over the world. This global tragedy
demands a global response - based on global values of human rights and
justice.

As the world braces itself for a "robust reaction", world leaders are
speaking the language of war. It is at times like these that we must be
alert to the risks posed to human rights. The voice of the defenders of
human rights must not be drowned out by the clarion call to arms.  We insist
that states respect human rights and international humanitarian law at all
times, under all circumstances.

Already we have seen a wave of  racist attacks directed at people because of
their appearance or religion. The threat perception is encouraging an
environment of racism and xenophobia. In north America, Europe and
elsewhere, Muslims, Arabs and Sikhs have been shot, stabbed and beaten.
Mosques have been firebombed. Shops have been looted. Schools have been
forced to close because of intimidation and harassment.

Governments must take strong action against racist attacks directed at the
Muslim, Asian and Middle Eastern populations in their countries, whether
they are citizens or foreigners. You cannot claim to speak in the name of
freedom if all those on your territory do not feel equally protected.

Governments are using the "war on terrorism" to introduce draconian measures
to limit civil liberties. The US and EU governments are considering
provisions that would allow them to detain immigrants indefinitely, even if
they have not been charged with any offence. Such measures are unlikely to
deter attacks but they are likely to stifle dissent and curtail basic
freedoms. For this reason, they must be resisted.

In reaching a balance between security and individual freedom, the
internationally recognized safeguards to protect human rights must not be
sacrificed. Even in the most extreme crisis, Governments do not have a
completely free hand. Even if they are at war, they must abide by the basic
rules that protect civilians' lives.

The human toll of this crisis must not fall on those who are the most
vulnerable - refugees and asylum seekers who are themselves fleeing
repression and terror. Some governments are exploiting the climate of public
fear to tighten up asylum laws and policies. Australia and the European
Union are rushing through measures that will undermine the rights of
refugees and cause more human misery.

A humanitarian crisis of epic proportions is developing on the borders of
Afghanistan as Iran and Pakistan turn away famine-stricken Afghan women,
children and men fleeing in fear of military attacks. We need to act now to
prevent a repeat of the calamity we saw at Blace as refugees fled Kosovo.
The international community must insist that Afghan refugees are allowed to
enter neighbouring countries. The international community must also share
the cost and responsibility of hosting them.

The victims of the 11 September attacks, like all victims, deserve justice,
not revenge. But how should that justice be delivered?Governments are fast
defining their options in terms of force. Our concern as human rights
activists must be to insist that justice is rendered according to the rule
of law. Both the pursuit and any subsequent trial of the suspects must be in
accordance with internationally recognized standards governing the use of
force and fair trial procedures. The death penalty should not be imposed.

The 11 September attacks highlight once again the need for a system of
international justice. Some atrocities demand international accountability.
In some circumstances, international cooperation to bring suspected
perpetrators to justice can be more easily forthcoming through an
international tribunal. Unfortunately, many governments including the USA
have not ratified the International Criminal Court  and resisted, during the
drafting of the Rome Statute, broadening its jurisdiction. As the need for
international cooperation to address transnational crimes become evident,
the US Government should consider supporting the establishment of the court.

All victims, whether they are killed under the eyes of the world's media or
perish in a remote conflict, have the right to justice. The response to the
11 September tragedy must not create new victims or be used as a pretext for
an attack on human rights. Instead, it should lead governments to build an
effective system of international justice that could end impunity for all
perpetrators of gross human rights abuses, whether committed in the USA or
the Middle East, in Chechnya or Sierra Leone.

Irene Khan
Amnesty International Secretary General

removed.

* * * * * * * * * *

Past and current Amnesty news services can be found at
<http://www.amnesty.org/news/>;. Visit <http://www.amnesty.org> for
information about Amnesty International and for other AI publications.
Contact amnestyis@... if you need to get in touch with the
International Secretariat of Amnesty International.

List info at:
http://nativenewsonline.org/natnews.htm

* * * * * * * * * *

A MESSAGE FROM
~OPERATION PLANET LOVE
http://www.redanahuak.org.mx/opa
Free Planetary Meditation Calendar & Program 2001-2002

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Light:

This is an upmost urgent call to join us in a true Planetary Operation of
LOVE.

Having seen an outrageous event that had moved our foundations all round the
world; this is the precise moment to act.

Due to the tragic events that brought death to many innocents; darkness has
filtered into our hearts claiming for revenge. As we all know this might
provoke the outbreak of the third world war, never seen before. In this war
many innocents could die and this, brothers and sisters, cannot be
permitted!

If what we want, long for, dream for, and pray for is peace and love among
all men and women, there is no other means than hoisting the banner of Peace
and Love.

We, the warriors of Light, Love and Peace are never to support any war under
any circumstance, flag or excuse. Therefore we must act and hold in our
hands the power we are invested of for being the daughters and sons of the
ONE WHO IS, and for also being citizens of our beloved planet Earth.

Together with all the ones that think and act like us, we will demand:

No more violence, no more revenge, no more hate, no more war!
We will urge: that darkness ceases and leaves our planet.

Time has come, time is now; let the Spiritual Government ­Love and Peace ­
command the planet, and may the Light, Love and Power restore Peace on
Earth!

The communion of Oneness and Prayer set in motion demonstrated us during the
last war of the Persian Gulf that we can do it! And this time is more
powerful because we are majority now and much more enlightened!

Let us join everyday until we stop this.

Let us join with all our hearts. Spread this letter widely to the biggest
possible number of people.

Spread the message to all the networks to whom you can reach.

May the Light, Love and Power, restore the Divine Plan on Earth!

Your brothers in soul.

OPA
Operacion Planeta Amor
Operation Planet Love

You're lovingly invited to join us...
II IBERAMERICAN WEB OF LIGHT GATHERING
9-11 November 2001
Iztaru, San Jose, COSTA RICA --Central America
300+ groups attending!
Spanish-english simultaneous translation available.
<http://www.nuevaconsciencia.com/costarica/english.html>;

~IBERAMERICAN WEB OF LIGHT
Free Community New Info Selection Services

LUXWEB (english)
http://www.egroups.com/community/luxweb   (4 daily messages)
http://www.egroups.com/community/luxwebII   (1 daily message)
http://www.egroups.com/community/luxwebIII   (1 weekly message)

ACTION ALERT (english)
http://www.egroups.com/community/actionalert

OPERATION PLANET LOVE
http://www.redanahuak.org.mx/opa
Free Planetary Meditation Calendar & Program 2001-2002
Uniting all groups and traditions since 1983...
21,000 subscribers in 90 countries.

Crea y administra tus propias listas de correo gratuitas, en español.