Asunto:PAN- 21 September 2002 / 'A Call to Action' / Peace One Day / Prayer for Peace / World Conference of Religions for Peace (WCRP) / Harvest Full Moon / Global Meditation
Fecha:Miercoles, 18 de Septiembre, 2002  11:30:42 (-0500)
Autor:Ricardo Ocampo <redluz @...............mx>

GLOBAL MEDITATION
Harvest Full Moon

'A call to Action'

Saturday, September 21st, 2002

<http://www.peaceoneday.org/bin/venda.plex?ex=co_disp-view&bsref=peaceoneday
&page=home>

'There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world; and that is
an idea whose time has come.' Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Peace One Day began as the vision of one man, young British filmmaker Jeremy
Gilley. Launched in 1999, with the support of countless individuals and
organisations, Peace One Day has successfully driven the initiative to
establish the United Nations International Day of Peace as a day of global
ceasefire and non-violence, now fixed in the calendar as 21st September from
2002.

Peace One Day is asking the people of the world to honour and celebrate the
Day on the 21st September; with the vision of the Day extending far beyond
the cessation of violent conflict and representing an opportunity for the
people of the world to create a moment of global unity.

Thank you for visiting this site - You have already made a difference.

The Peace One Day song by Dave Stewart and Jimmy Cliff will be ready for
downloading on 19th September. We have approached radio stations all over
the world and we expect the song to ride a wave of radio play as each time
zone hits 12 noon on 21st September 2002. Click here for a sneak preview.

* * * * * * * * * *

Prayer for Peace*

Heal my wounded heart.
Grant me the courage to change my heart.
Let Peace live in my heart.
Fill me with compassion for those suffering in war.
Help me care for those in war.
Help me bring Peace to those in war.
Help me stop wars.
Help soldiers stop wars.
Help leaders stop wars.
Fill me with Peace and Justice.
Help me to work for Peace with Justice.
Let there be Peace with Justice among all peoples.

*Let each offer the prayer in accord with his or her religious beliefs,
respecting the differences among the world's religions. May be reprinted in
any form without permission, with attribution to World Conference of
Religions for Peace (WCRP).

<http://www.peaceoneday.org/>;

* * * * * * * * * *

HARVEST FULL MOON
Saturday, September 21st, 2002

Sci/Tech > Science & Space
from the August 29, 2002 edition
<http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0829/p13s02-stss.html>;

LUNAR GLOW
The harvest moon is the name given to the full moon closest to the autumnal
equinox.

Looking for a heavenly rendezvous? The moon's available 9/21
By Jim Bencivenga | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

"Dad, the moon is coming home with us."

Songwriter Greg Brown puts these words in the mouth of a young girl riding
with her father in his pickup truck as a full moon rises over the Iowa
plains. The song taps the celestial magic of a moon at the horizon's edge.
The orange orb appears closer, even as it actually distances itself from
Earth.

If it has been awhile since the moon came "home with you," next month's
harvest moon on Sept. 21, is your best bet for a heavenly rendez-vous.

Hardworking New England farmers in the 17th century were the first Americans
to "moonlight" on the job. They gave the adjective "harvest" to September's
moon and thanked nature's God for providing them with extra light to bring
in the crop.

Normally, the moon rises 50 minutes later each night. But there are key
variations in its travels across the sky. In the northern latitudes,
September is when these variations are most visible.

The reason for this is that the harvest moon is the full moon closest to the
autumnal equinox. On the 21st, the full moon rises at sunset per the norm,
but then, for several nights, it will appear just 25 minutes or so later.
This stems from the tilt of Earth at this time of year. And the effect
increases if the full moon occurs on or about the date of the equinox, as it
does this year.

The harvest moon will also be more pronounced this year because it occurs at
the same time as the low point of the moon's own orbital tilt, which
traverses an 18.6-year cycle. This accentuates (fast-forwards from our
vantage point on Earth) the angle its orbit makes with the eastern horizon
at moonrise.

Full moons always rise at or near sunset. That's because, in order to appear
full to us, the moon's fully illuminated hemisphere ­ its "day" side ­ must
be facing us. And, for the dayside to face entirely in our direction, the
moon has to be opposite the sun. Hence, all full moons rise in the east as
the sun is setting in the west. And all full moons are highest in the sky
around midnight, when the sun is below our feet.

Why does the moon look bigger on first appearance each month? It is an old
lunar mystery known as the "moon illusion." As the moon peeks over the
horizon, we see it swell to enormous size and then, in just a few hours
after it climbs in the sky, (as Earth rotates on its axis through the night)
appear to melt like a giant snowball.

Timothy Ferris, offers a preliminary explanation in his new book, "Seeing in
the Dark." This theory holds that when confronted with a phenomenon beyond
its sensory experience, the human mind creates its own impression and an
object near the horizon is perceived as larger than something high in the
sky.

When considering the moon, there's always more than meets the eye. Some 900
million years ago, a day on Earth was 18 hours. Thanks to the gravitational
"braking" force of the moon, we now have a 24-hour day. The reciprocal force
of Earth's gravity on the moon long ago caused the moon's rotation to
synchronize exactly with its orbit around Earth every 29 1/2 days. That's
why, from Earth, we always see the same side of the moon.

And if this gravitational handshake isn't enough to make you stop and look
anew at the moon, consider that the "inconstant" moon of literature is
still, literally, drifting away from Earth as if gently ending its
relationship with its suitor.

Laser beams shot from Earth and bounced off reflectors placed on the moon by
Apollo astronauts confirm that the moon separates itself from Earth at a
rate of 1.5 inches a year. At this point in galactic time, total solar
eclipses occur because the moon is close enough to earth for them to occur.
In a few million years, the moon will be too far away to cover the entire
solar disk and only partial eclipses will be visible.

Better "come home" with the moon Sept. 21.

* * * * * * * * *

 <http://www.peaceoneday.org/>;

Peace One Day continues to document the entire journey of the campaign on
film. The following 8-minute film has been sent to the Heads of all UN
member states and respective UN Ambassadors, all education ministers, sports
ministers where applicable, the Heads of all UN agencies,
inter-governmental, non-governmental and religious organisations, global
unions, educational establishments, corporations, Nobel Peace Laureates and
other key individuals around the globe.
The full-length film, culminating on the first ever day of global ceasefire
and non-violence, 21 September 2002, will become a key tool in reaching
people of all nations. Information on how you can see the full-length
feature film will be posted on this site at the earliest opportunity.

Please watch this 8-minute film. We hope it inspires you to become involved
in your own way on the Day.
Quick Time clip (6.3mb)
Windows Media file (5.2mb)

Visita nuestro patrocinador:
              +++ ARSYS, Tu aliado en Internet +++
   Servicios de hosting, registro y alojamiento de dominios, etc.
   Haz clic aquí -> http://elistas.net/ml/91/