Asunto:PAN- First Hemispheric Forum Against Militarization
Fecha:Lunes, 24 de Febrero, 2003  23:53:21 (-0600)
Autor:RedLUZ/LUXWeb <redluz @...............mx>

First Hemispheric Forum Against Militarization

@@@luxweb

iberamerican web of light
25,000 subscribers

Free New Info Selection Services
If you want to directly receive documents like this one, please
write to <
luxweb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>
Thanks for passing this to others!

* * * * * * * * * *

First Hemispheric Forum
against Militarization

The People Speak Out to,
Silence the Violence!

San Cristóbal de Las Casas

Chiapas
MÉXICO
May
6-9, 2003

PRESENTATION

After the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, and in the midst of a
international economic crisis, the United States government has launched a
fierce military campaign in the entire world. It has also reactivated wars,
and the weapons industry. Specifically in the American Continent, the
phenomenon of militarization has invaded our lands, social sectors, and our
state structures. In this context, the Plan Colombia, Plan Puebla-Panama and
other regional plans in the framework of the construction of the FTAA are
being imposed.

In this process of militarization of all levels of society, we the people
must not remain silent and shocked facing the arrogance and abuse of power
of those who impose on us a future of death and domination.

Various networks and groups from the entire continent believe that it is
imperative that we that the people must speak out to silence the violence,
therefore we CONVOKE organized civil society in North America, the
Caribbean, Central and South America to the

First Hemispheric Forum against militarization

with the following objectives:

1.    To share information and analysis about the militarization of the
American Continent in all of it¹s levels and spheres.

2.    To share experiences about the significance of militarization and it¹s
causes, effects and consequences on rural and urban social, political,
economic and cultural life.

3.    To unite forces, hearts and wills in order to create alternatives for
peace facing this continental militarization.

4.    To create a permanent, long-term process of analysis, reflection,
experience sharing and search for alternatives.

What's new:

*    The purpose of this space on the internet is for us to come to the
Forum in May with a lot of information already shared, debates underway, and
to foster the participation of those who will not be able to physically
attend the event.

*    This space will also allow us to share our opinions so that they can be
spread and can be shared with those who do not have Internet access, using
other electronic or print media.

The Forum will be developed based on the following three strategic focus
areas:

*    STRATEGIC RESOURCES, ECONOMIC MODEL AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE
ARMED FORCES.

*    MULTILATERAL AGENCIES, EUROPEAN UNION AND THE HEGEMONY OF THE USA

*    MILITARY OCCUPATIONS AND HUMAN RIGHTS