Asunto:PAN- SOA Protest - 26 People Arrested and Held in the County Jail on Multiple Charges
Fecha:Lunes, 22 de Noviembre, 2010  20:28:12 (-0600)
Autor:REDLUZ <lacasadelared @.....com>

From: Hendrik Voss, SOA Watch <hvoss@soaw.org>
Date: 2010/11/20
To: luxweb-owner@yahoogroups.com

Thousands Converge at the gates of Fort Benning for 20th Anniversary of November Vigil to Close the SOA
26 PEOPLE ARRESTED AND HELD IN THE COUNTY JAIL ON MULTIPLE CHARGES

Nonviolent Civil Disobedience Action Followed by Indiscriminate Arrests and Targeting of Journalists. Among those arrested by Columbus Police were three Journalists, including TV News Crew from RT America and Unrelated Bystanders.

Thousands of human rights activists, torture survivors, veterans, faith-based communities, union workers, students, musicians and others from across the Americas are gathered today at the gates of the U.S. military base Fort Benning to call for the closure of the School of the Americas (renamed Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation).

Following the SOA Watch rally, human rights activists brought their nonviolent witness to close the SOA into the street leading onto the military base. The activists briefly shut down the road with a large sign that said, "Stop: This is the End of the Road for the SOA."  Their action is part of a longstanding tradition of creative civil disobedience to call attention to the atrocities committed by graduates of the School of the Americas. 10-12 people were arrested, and others charged, including the 90-year old Jesuit priest Bill Brennan, and ordained Catholic priest Janice Sevre-Duszynska.

Two human rights activists crossed onto Fort Benning through the highway entrance. They have been charged with federal trespass and face up to six months in federal prison and a fine up to $5,000.

When the rally participants tried to leave the vigil area, the police blocked off all exit points. After a few minutes, the police allowed people to leave on the sidewalk, only to follow them, indiscriminately arresting people who had neither committed any crimes nor engaged in civil disobedience. Among those arrested was the RT America TV crew, who was filming the police misconduct and bystanders. All arrestees are currently being held in the Muscogee County Jail for up to a $5,500 bond.

SOA Watch is a nonviolent grassroots organization that works for the closing the
School of the Americas and a change in U.S. foreign policy  -  www.SOAW.org

URGENT! We urgently need money to bond people out of jail.

Please make a donation to the SOA Watch Legal Defense Fund

As a community of resistance, we need to take care of our prisoners. The conditions in Muscogee County jail are deplorable and we need funds to pay the bond money, which has been set as high as $5,500 per person. Several people engaged in nonviolent direct action and blocked the road to the Highway entrance to Fort Benning, others were arrested by the out-of-control Columbus police as they were leaving the vigil area on the sidewalk. Several journalists and bystanders were swept up in the arrests as well.

Background information about the events yesterday:
http://tinyurl.com/2as4tso

Please donate to the SOA Watch Legal Defense Fund. We need the money urgently TODAY:
http://tinyurl.com/2b3ofsa

In peace and solidarity,
SOA Watch

Crea tu propia Red Social de Noticias
O participa en las muchas ya creadas. ¡Es lo último, es útil y divertido! ¿A qué esperas?
es.corank.com