Asunto:PAN- International Institute for Facilitation and Consensus / My Worst Facilitator's Nightmare Came True! / David A. Lillie
Fecha:Viernes, 10 de Septiembre, 2004  14:31:33 (-0500)
Autor:Ricardo Ocampo <redanahuak @...............mx>

To: LuxWeb <LuxWeb@...>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:49:42 -0500
Cc: LuxWebII <LuxWebII@...>, LuxWebIII
<luxwebIII@...>
Subject: [LuxWeb] International Institute for Facilitation and Consensus /
My Worst    Facilitator's Nightmare Came True! / David A. Lillie

*LuxWeb*
Iberamerican Web of Light
Free New Info Selection Services
Anahuak Radiant Centre
http://www.laneta.apc.org/redanahuak
luxweb-subscribe@... (up to 4 daily messages)
luxwebII-subscribe@... (one daily message)
luxwebIII-subscribe@... (one weekly message)

FIFTH IBERAMERICAN WEB OF LIGHT GATHERING
RedLuz-LuxWeb
Nov 22-29, 2004
Mar del Plata, Argentina
You're cordially invited!

More info:
redluz-admin@...
www.redluz-ci.org

* * * * * * * * * *

My Worst Facilitator's Nightmare Came True!
David A. Lillie

International Institute for Facilitation and Consensus
http://iifac.org/fl/fl-2004-09-en.html

My worst facilitator's nightmare was to fail so badly that the group would
replace me. Fortunately, when it actually happened, it turned out to be a
great learning experience for everyone involved, something I can look back
on with appreciation.

In the 1990s, I facilitated several of the national congresses of the Green
Party USA. By 1997, I had survived enough of these strenuous meetings (three
long days with sessions sometimes going until 2 am!) to feel confident
facilitating them. For the first two days of the 1997 Congress, another male
co-facilitator and I were doing what I thought was a good job of helping the
group move through a long, sometimes difficult agenda.

The Greens have always strived for gender equity in all positions of
leadership, and as part of that process, hold a women's and men's caucus
during their events. On the last day of the congress, a representative from
the women's caucus stood up and announced that the women were not happy with
having two male facilitators. She claimed that we were not creating a
balance between women and men speakers during discussions and proposed that
the male facilitators be replaced by a woman for the remainder of the
meeting.

I explained that before the congress began we had put out a call for women
facilitators, but none had responded. The representative said that they now
had found a woman who was willing to take the job. So, following the Greens'
process, we immediately suspended the agenda and took up the proposal to
replace the current facilitators. A brief discussion was followed by a vote
in which more than 75% of the participants declared themselves to be in
favour of the replacement.

The other male co-facilitator was upset at being replaced and left. I,
however, following Bea's First Law of Facilitation -- Never abandon your
group! -- stayed to see what would happen.

As those of you who have facilitated large, national groups know, the
facilitator's job starts months before the meeting, with much background
preparation, agenda planning, memorizing the group's procedures and bylaws,
discussions with leaders, etc. Anyone who is suddenly steps into the
position of facilitator without this preparation is likely to be overwhelmed
in a very short time.

Knowing this, I decided to support the new facilitator. Staying in the
background, I coached her on where we were on the agenda, what the
procedures were, helped with the speakers' list, and so on. She did a good
job under difficult circumstances and the meeting ended well.

After the session was over, the women's caucus representative thanked me for
my help. I expressed my appreciation for the clear stand taken by the
women's caucus against gender imbalance and how much the experience had
taught me about supporting women in leadership. I also said that I hoped we
could work together in the future to avoid a repeat of this situation. I
went home feeling satisfied in my work.

So what were the main lessons I learned from this experience?

1.    Don't take things personally. I could have taken the request for a
woman facilitator as a personal attack on my facilitation skills. I could
have felt accused of being someone who was stuck in patriarchal patterns of
domination. I could have gotten upset and abandoned the group. If that had
happened, there is a good chance that the meeting would have collapsed in
chaos, the woman facilitator would have felt hurt, other men would have been
upset with the women's caucus, and so on. Fortunately, I have done a lot of
work on myself and my sexist patterns through the years and was able to stay
present, not be upset, and facilitate my own removal!
2.    ³Make the best of any situation,² or ³Don't allow others to fail when
you can help.² I am not completely enlightened (understatement :), so part
of me still reacted with ³Humph! Now they'll find out what a tough job this
is.....² but I was able to move beyond that and look for ways to support the
facilitator without taking over her role or disrespecting her. After all, I
was doing this voluntary work for the Green Party because I believe in their
values and sincerely want them to succeed.
3.    I am no longer afraid of being replaced in a meeting. It really is
true that ³the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.² The reality was
not as bad as my nightmares and I felt good about the overall outcome.
4.    The process worked. I had helped formulate the Green Party's Charter
and Working Guidelines (their bylaws and process). Previous bitter
experiences helped me make sure that procedures existed for handling the
difficult times as well as when things are going well. So when the issue of
replacement came up, I knew the defined process, executed it, and within 15
minutes we were back on track with the agenda. Without such guidelines, we
could have gotten lost in a process quagmire that could easily have consumed
the rest of the time available.
5.    Sexism runs very deep. Even after years of work on my self,
counselling for many, many hours on the topic, attending several workshops,
leading men's groups, interacting with many brilliant women on the topic, I
still am not free of sexism. I know that it did affect my ability to notice
and call on women in the audience, to not set up procedures for alternating
men and women in the speaking order, to not work harder to get a woman
co-facilitator, and to not make more of an effort to recruit and train more
women for the task. When I started facilitating for the Greens, there were
two men and four women facilitators on the team. In 1997 there were no
women. What happened? I suspect that we males continued to cling
(unconsciously) to the patterns of behaviour in which we have been so well
trained and failed to be loving, active allies to the women, so they left.

May you all learn so much from your nightmares!

IIFAC affiliate David Lillie is a native of the USA currently living in
County Wicklow, Ireland.
He can be reached at lilliewilde1@...

International Institute for Facilitation and Consensus
Domingo Diez 1589 #113, Cuernavaca, Morelos 62250, Mexico
+52 (777) 102 2288 email@... www.iifac.org

               Elimina esas molestas ventanas popup
        Busca en Internet desde el menu de tu navegador
    Obten informacion inmediata sobra las paginas que visites
       Averigua al instante paginas y sitios relacionados

          !! Descarga GRATIS la barra de ALEXA YA !!

 Haz clic aqui -> http://elistas.net/ml/143/