Inicio > Mis eListas > terraeantiqvae > Mensajes

Re: Labrando un Im GonzaloB
IV Festival Intern Arkeolan
Arqueología en UK Alberto
¿cuánto gana un ar Alberto
RE: ¿cuánto gana u raquel r
Re: ¿cuánto gana u alicia.c
Re: Duda. Flanqueo Alberto
Re: Duda. Flanqueo alicia.c
Cita con Trajano alicia.c
Matthiae y Liveran alicia.c
El abrigo y cueva José Lui
Día García y Belli José Lui
Re: Marañón justif Davius S
Fw: Marañón justif jaime pe
"La mujer y lo Sag José Lui
Re: "La mujer y lo Alberto
Descifran misterio José Lui
Trajano, un pagano alicia.c
¿Existió el rey Ar José Lui
Fwd: Becas Investi Alberto
Fotografían restos José Lui
Elogio de la vulga Alberto
Re: Fotografían_re alicia.c
Re: Fotografían_re alicia.c
La Primera reconst José Lui
Re: Elogio de la v Ana Mari
Conjunción de los Carlos S
otras cosas Javier d
Re: otras cosas Ana Mari
Fwd: Una enfermeda alicia.c
 << 30 ant. | 30 sig. >>

Terrae Antiqvae

Asunto:Re: [TA] ¿cuánto gana un arqueólogo?
Fecha:Lunes, 24 de Mayo, 2004  18:05:08 (MET)
Autor:alicia.canto <alicia.canto @...es>

Muy curioso el documento que nos pasa Alberto, aunque sea de 1999. Para
comodidad del lector, me he permitido reproducir otra vez el artículo, pero
reconvirtiendo todas las cifras que venían en libras esterlinas a pesetas (lo
siento, pero esto del euro ya me ha pillado mayor y para lo único que uso esta
moneda es para pagar, y a la fuerza), cuya cifra va entre corchetes. Hay que
tener en cuenta que el cambio actual es a 248 Pts/Libra (0,60 €/Libra), siendo
esto aproximadamente un 18% menos de lo que era en 1999, y que los sueldos que
se indican son también los de 1999; posiblemente ahora sean más altos.
Saludos.

> Por si hay algún estudiante que todavía esté a tiempo
> de ser una persona respetable y estudiar
> empresariales. Como dijo Gandalf, "corred insensatos"
> ;)
>
> http://www.archaeology.co.uk/further/begin/profile.htm

How much do archaeologists earn?
[¿Cuánto ganan los arqueólogos?]

This survey was published in Current Archaeology 166 (December 1999)

A new estimate has just been provided in a survey of archaeological jobs in the
UK entitled Profiling the Profession funded by English Heritage and published
jointly by them, the Council for British Archaeology and the Institute of Field
Archaeologists: it is available for download on the web at
www.britarch.ac.uk/training/profile.html.

The first question is: how many professional archaeologists are there? Or
rather, how many people are there employed by organisations in the UK that
employ professional archaeologists (the survey was of organisations, not
individuals)? The result is 4425 professional archaeologists. The returned
questionnaires, in fact, only contain information about 2829 people, but the
figures were then grossed up, to allow for organisations that failed to
respond. And how much are they paid? The average is £17,079 [Pts. 4.236.294],
as compared to the national average of £19,167 [4.753.416]. The median figure
is even worse -only £15,905 [3.944.440]- archaeologists are badly paid.

There are some obvious problems. The quoted averages are probably too high
since the lump of temporary workers is probably not included; similarly only 5%
are part-time workers - surely too low. A quick adjustment of the figures in
the English Heritage annual report suggests that perhaps a third of their
workers are part time.

Your pay however depends on where you work. The majority of archaeologists are
employed in the private sector as contractors, 30%, or consultants, only 3%
(¿an underestimate?). Then three further categories employ around 15% each: the
curators in local government, academic archaeologists, and those working in the
National Heritage Agencies, including the Royal Commissions. 4% are employed by
National Museums but only another 4% by local authorities, presumably in
Museums, again surely an underestimate.

The two places to work however are Universities, and English Heritage and its
brethren. The average salary for an academic in permanent employment is £25,310
[6.276.880]; next come the National Heritage agencies on £23,081 [5.724.088]
and the National Museums on £22,570 [5.597.360]. We then come down with a bump:
curators average £17,000 [4.216.000], contractors £16,600 [4.116.800], and
consultants only £14,500 [3.596.000]. (These figures are for permanent posts -
temporary staff are considerably lower). The average age of an archaeologist is
36, 40% of the total being between 30-39. It appears that 35% are female, but
whilst women comprise 42% of all archaeologists between 20-29, by the time the
40-49 age bracket is reached, women are only 29% of the total.

Nearly half the book is taken up with ‘Post Profiles’, and it is these that
most archaeologists will study most keenly. Archaeologists describe themselves
in a myriad of different ways: 455 separate post titles were recorded -nearly
one title for every 5 Archaeologists- but these were boiled down into 34 ‘Post
Profiles’. We immediately turned to the profile of ‘editor’ of whom there are
26, ¾ of them female: the average salary is £17,764 [4.405.472], though one
editor in the Eastern region, earned £28,000 [6.944.000] bumping the average
up. The highest paid British archaeologist is an ‘Inspector’ who earned £58,086
[14.405.328], though there was an academic who earned £50,809 [12.600.632]. (By
comparison the Chief Executive of English Heritage earned £100,000
[24.800.000], made up of £87,000 [21.576.000] basic and £13,000 [3.224.000]
performance bonus).

The heart of the PPG 16 system are the project managers, the post to which
every ambitious archaeologist should aspire. They are the ones who have the
delightful job of negotiating with planning officers on behalf of developers;
they are 79% male and earn on average £19,434 [4.819.632]. At the other
extreme, the finds assistants, who really do the important (and often actually
archaeological) work, are 73% female  and earn on average £14,996 [3,719.008].
Directors (75% male) earn £22,629 [5.611.992], conservators, (often highly
qualified, 68% female), average £16,379, computing officers (64% male) average
£15,918 [3.947.664], though considering that computing officers are like gold
in today’s society, it is not perhaps surprising that at this salary, there are
only 12 of them in archaeology.

It is interesting to compare this with a similar American survey: The American
Archaeologist which we summarised in CA159. The two are not strictly comparable
in that the American profile was simply based on a single American
organisation, the Society for American Archaeology, which has around 5000
members of whom a similar number, nearly 1700 completed a census in 1994;
however one cannot tell what proportion of American archaeologists are
represented as a whole. The British data is much easier to handle in that it is
quoted in tables and hard figures and firm averages, whereas the American data
is mostly quoted in graphs and is very woolly.

However the Americans asked some additional questions notably on educational
levels, on job satisfaction and fascinatingly, though perhaps irrelevantly, on
marital status. American archaeologists are inevitably rather better paid: no
overall average is quoted; perhaps the most tangible figure is that 61% of male
archaeologists earn over $40,000(= £25,000) [=Pts. 6.200.000]. The interesting
difference is that, whereas in Britain academic archaeologists are well ahead
of the contractors, in America, what they call ‘private sector’ archaeologists
have salaries that are at least equal to, and in places edging ahead of,
academic archaeologists and are also well ahead in job satisfaction. Will
British contractors now begin to catch up with their academic counterparts?

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mensaje enviado mediante una herramienta Webmail integrada en *El Rincon*:
------------->>>>>>>>     https://rincon.uam.es     <<<<<<<<--------------

Visita nuestro patrocinador:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

       ¿Donde quieres pasar las Navidades este año?
    eDreams te ofrece enormes ofertas en viajes y hoteles

                        HOTELES
                   Madrid, 1 noche 28€
                  Londres,  1 noche 28€
                NUeva York, 1 noche 55€